Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Limitless

Although, I haven't seen the movie Limitless today I felt much as I imagine one would if one could use all of his or her brain. 

Or maybe it is just possible if one gets more than six hours of sleep. 

Either way, today I felt that everything was tied together.  US National Government, Western Civilization to 1300, and Intellectual Traditions, especially.  You see, although I am studying the national supremacy clause (Article VI of the Constitution) I am really studying the Code of Hammurabi at the same time as the supremacy clause is one of the four main points of that Babylonian document.  Or, while we are examining the development of the judicial system through the Odessey and Agammemnon in Intellectual Traditions, I am really understanding another perspective of how the tyrants Solon and Cleisthenes reformed the judicial system of Athens.   And you know, I now understand some more of the flaws of our judicial system and how to improve them from Sim Gill's speech two weeks ago at the Hinckley Institute.

Athens dominated the seas with their navy - so did Great Britain.
The Battle Marathon was the turning point of the Persian Wars - so was Gettysburg for the American Civil War.
Solon understand that a democracy couldn't be created instantly as there were none of the institutions in place - just as Hegel understood with Dialectics that life is a series of anti-thesis and thesis which result in a sythesis.
The recognition of Odysseus' hands by Erycleia because of his hands is similar to the importance of a mother recognizing a child's hands in Beloved
The Deus Ex Machina ending of Iphigenia in Taurus is just like that of Tartuffe

There aren't any boarders or boundaries.  Everything that I am learning relates and explains the other things that I am learning or have learned. 

I guess I should get more sleep more often.  : )


2 comments:

  1. Ahhh - the power of a higher education, an open mind and sleep. It is a beautiful experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one smart cookie! Keep getting sleep and enjoying all the connections!

    ReplyDelete