Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A Sign

You know, I am beginning to believe in fate. I will explain.

Now, I've always believed that things work out. If they haven't worked out then the story isn't over yet. I believe that still but now I also believe that events, opportunities lead me to 'the good' through greater self understanding. What I'm unsure of though is whether this fate exists only in the extent that I perceive of it - that through fate I organize the world around me - that it exists or whether fate exists outside of my perception. So, the question is, if I didn't think about it would events still lead me to greater self understanding and would help me? Or rather does it only exist because I internalize and reflect upon the world and my reflections are so significant that I cannot imagine it if I had not come upon them so therefore the events that facilitated them must have been meant to occur?

I have been thinking a lot about fate recently because it has just been amazing - beautiful - how the events and opportunities have lined up.

Here is only one example:
Today it was too windy for me to eat outside as I usually like to so I grabbed my lunch from my car and returned to the capitol cafeteria. There were several empty table but none of them were the small four-person ones so I sat at a very long one for ten people. I sat and started to eat, people watching and perusing the next chapter of Exploring the Heritage of American Higher Education. I am a social creature though so when I saw a man that I work with through the Utah System of Higher Education sitting down by himself nearby I said hello and started to pack up to join him. Cordially, he came over, said hello, asked me how I was doing, and asked for an update. He commented that he was being joined by a few other men for 'business,' suggesting that I couldn't join him, but he was very friendly. He left and I returned content to reading and watching.

Three girls came and joined me. They were from a school group and asked if they could join me. I talked to them for a few minutes, finding out that they were in seventh grade and learning about their career aspirations (an lawyer, a vet that will be a firefighter to pay for vet school, and a photographer and pilot for the air force). A few of their friends joined them slowly and they joined in the conversation. We talked about their lunches (one boy had homemade doughnut holes another girl had slim jims, they swapped) and about their impression of the capitol (lots of marble and interesting).

Soon I was surrounded by a dozen seventh graders. The girl that will be a photographer and pilot asked me how I felt being surrounded by "a bunch of seventh graders." I loved it. I wouldn't have traded their personalities, attitudes, and conversation for any other company in the cafeteria.

It completely changed my day. After I left the table, giving up my seat to another boy, I thought of how much I enjoyed talking with them. I thought of how lucky I was that they joined me. It came at the perfect timing as I've been thinking a lot about teaching and confirmed for me again that that is exactly what I want to do. And teach I believe I will even though one boy cautioned me against teaching because of what the kids are like that I would work with, kids like them. I told him and all of my young friends that they are worth it.

And for you, what do you think of fate?

2 comments:

  1. That's AWESOME, Ali! Sometimes things in the universe just align, so wonderful. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story! You are wonderful Ali! And a wonderful teacher!

    ReplyDelete