Tuesday, August 23, 2011

First

Howdy!

I can vote. I can vote! Although my birthday was yesterday, that fact hit me today when I was reading my US Government textbook. That fact left me shocked for a few moments before I could focus back on my reading.

Not only did my birthday herald the voting experience, but it also commenced my college experience. And what a fine experience that is.

I was a little nervous yesterday before classes began, but once they did it seemed natural to read syllabuses, introduce myself to professors, and walk across the campus. And my birthday wasn't lost in the excitement. Mom kindly brought up a tray of delicious cupcakes (even more delicious than usual!) and I spent a good part of the afternoon sharing the cupcakes and meeting everyone on my floor. While it may seem awkward to simply knock on a door and introduce yourself, a tray of cupcakes makes anything enjoyable. At one point I even had a bunch of people in my dorm room that had heard about the cupcakes. They were all very friendly and we played a great game of ultimate frisbee afterwards. I also received a scarf, two cards, and two books from friends. And two cards in my mailbox. What great first mail to receive!

I was meant to have my think tank last night as well, but the professor sent out an email that she was unable to teach then. So instead I went to the Honors Barbecue and talk to friends and family through the evening!

Today I went to my African American History class, which, while it seems wonderful, and the professor is excellent, I am going to drop. I already knew that I should probably drop it before I went but 5 large books to read, a 15 page research paper, 2 presentations, and a midterm and a final sealed the deal, unfortunately. After doing quite a bit of reading today I am now feeling much more comfortable with the class load that I have. I think that I do have just the right amount of classes to also have time to volunteer, join clubs, and possibly work.

One last note: I am very happy that I brought up my art history flash cards. I did 20 pages of reading of Gilgamesh (a story from about 627 B.C.). It includes numerous Sumerian Gods and references, which I only know about because of art history. Sweet!

Oh also, todays meals: I had raisin bran and orange juice for breakfast. Stir fry pineapple, carrots, onion, and broccoli with noodles, terriyaki, and sweet and sour sauce. And for dinner: A hard boiled egg salad with rice pilaf, peas, and a little pork. Dinner was also topped off with a glass of chocolate milk.

3 comments:

  1. Hooray for one new very informed voter! You will need to register to vote so you can cast that first ballot. Maybe you can help with a campaign to sign up voters at the U of U. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, thanks for reminding me! I do need to register! That is a great idea, Mom, to try and get college students to register at the U!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great report! And I am happy to hear about your new Hinckley Institute of Politics class. When do you get to hear from Bob Bennett?

    ReplyDelete