Monday, August 8, 2011

We're not in high school anymore, Toto.

It's funny what makes you realize and remember that your life is about to change.

Today on the radio I heard the song "You Belong to Me" by Taylor Swift, and while I have never really connected to the song (in fact I disliked it for a long time - obviously the guy doesn't recognize how awesome the girl is so the girl should just move on to a better guy that recognizes her worth!), the song really reminded me that I'm not in high school anymore. The song is clearly about a girl in high school; she has "typical tuesday nights listening to. . .music", she "stands in the bleachers", and there are many more little things that seem very high schoolesque to me.

I don't know what my typical tuesday nights will be like in a few weeks (less than two!) and I don't think that I'll be standing in any bleachers as I know that I missed the window to be in the football MUSS (Mighty Utah Student Section). Those seats (and the standing room, for that matter) go fast.

But luckily, no matter the changes that are coming, just like Dorothy I'll be able to wish myself back home. No ruby slippers necessary: only a short 11 minute drive away.

3 comments:

  1. Great opportunities are coming soon to a university campus near you! I hope you will have time to visit ye old homestead! (There are tip-top laundry facilities here.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to have a great time at the U! There may be some tough days but remember to give your sister a call! I can't wait to see your dorm room!
    (Also, you are a great writer. I love reading your posts!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Ali! And while high school is over, the best is yet to come. You're going to love the U. I can feel it! You'll be able to take the classes you want to take, have free time to sip on chai and hang out at the Bennion Center, AND you'll have longer breaks to visit me! ;-)

    ReplyDelete