Friday, August 19, 2011

Potential: An Empty Dorm Room and the College Experience

Here I am. Sitting at my desk in my newly floral decorated dorm room, sipping an herbal tea brewed fresh from my electronic kettle, after only the first day or so of college life.

Whoa.

Although these two days have drastically changed my lifestyle (i.e., sharing a living space, scheduled meals, to name a few), it has been easier and quicker than I could have expected. As simple and natural as taking another step. The entire naturalness of this situation may have come from participating in so many tennis camps. Perhaps I'll be shocked in a week or so when I realize, I'm not actually at a camp. I'm at my new home - well, my school home that is. Really though, I don't see that shock coming any time soon.

Yesterday I spent the morning moving in (with the assistance of the wonderful Mummsleydale). After a trip back home for lunch I came back to my dorm and settled in. I then went and bought a computer lock at the bookstore. Later there was a free dinner with Em, Taylor, Daphne, and Mom. And after, I hung out, getting to know two of my roomates, Kassandra and Ashley, better. The night ended with a movie showing of "Thor".

Today I got up early to go on a run. I explored upper campus from almost to the hospital to and through research park. I came back and enjoyed a delicious breakfast of Oatmeal and Fruit. A whole group of us then decided to start just riding the shuttles to figure out the routes and then we heard about the Race through the U which is a scavenger hunt through campus. Two girls (Michaela and Hillary) wanted to do it with me so we looped back to the dorms and got ready for the race. A boy Ben was added to our team, and Kelsey Strong was added as well. It was really fun to talk to Kelsey again. While some of my team mates may have said that we quit after two hours and 4 or so challenges. I say we finished early. We completely successful in that we bonded with each other and got to know the campus better. We got to kick a field goal on the football field in Rice-Eccles Stadium, run around the Hunstman center looking for a clue, match flags with countries in the Study Abroad Center, and print a picture of ourselves in the Union building. I call that a success. Lunch was pasta and broccoli. Next, I had to pick up my key at Silver Bean so I took Marissa with me for her to get groceries at her house (I am very thankful for the meal plan that I have, I don't have to strategize what meals to skip), and Katrina came along to pick up her pay check at Zupas. I even dropped by Viking Road and was rewarded with a body pillow, an electronic kettle, a fan, and food! Fantastic. After I just took a little time to myself to do some odds and ends in my dorm (like get internet set up). Dinner next with the wonderful wok (vegetables, noodles, beef, terriyaki sauce) and a desert of chocolate milk and granola. After I hung out with Hillary some more and we shared our loves for poetry and literature. Oh yes, that included a reading of "To an athlete dying young". I finished the night with my first college party: a dance outside of the heritage center. It was an okay dance but by far the best part was doing the charleston with Marissa.

All in all. Two excellent days. I can't wait for the rest.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! What a excellent day! Field goal kicking! And a reunion with Kelsey Strong - what a small world.
    May I say, living in the dorms was an excellent idea! I am so happy for you and your real college experience! GO UTES! GO ALI!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The college life and A. E. Housman. It is all coming together perfectly! You go Ali!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like SO MUCH FUN! And yeah, you kicked a field goal?! Holy cow. That sounds like something on a bucket list!

    Also, I am super jealous of the food you're eating. Yum yum yum!

    And thank goodness for Viking Road. You always get a treat there!

    Keep on postin'! :-D

    ReplyDelete